Field Study 1: Learning Episode 2: Leaners’ Characteristics, Needs and Interests

LearnME
0

Introduction

This Episode provides the pre-service teachers an opportunity to observe learners of different ages and levels of learning applied to effective learning. It also enable the PST to determine the learner's characteristics and needs, for them to be able to plan and implement an appropriate activities and assessment.



Intended Learning Outcomes

At the end of this episode, pre-service teacher should be able to:

  • to identify and describe the different characteristics , needs and interests of the learners from different developmental levels.


My Performance

I will be rated with the following criteria:

  • Quality of my observations and documentations

  • Completeness and depth of my analysis

  • Depth and clarity of my classroom observation-based reflections,

  • Completeness, organization, clarity of my portfolio and

  • Time of submission of my portfolio


My Performance How will I be rated?

Scale:  Excellent -5, Very Satisfactory- 4, Satisfactory – 3, Poor -2, Very Poor -1


Task 1- My Observation/ Documentation

Score

All done outstanding quality; work exceeds expectation

5

All or nearly all task done with high quality

4

Nearly all tasks done with acceptable quality

3

Fewer than half of tasks done; or most objectives meet but with poor quality

2

Never of the task done, no objectives meet and very poor quality

1

Task 2- My Analysis


Analysis of questions are answered completely; in depth answers thoroughly based on theories/

5

All or nearly all tasks are done with high quality. Analysis of questions are answered completely. Clear in connection with theories / exemplar.

4

Analysis questions were satisfactory and answered completely. Vaguely related to the theories

3

Analysis of questions are not all answered. Grammar and spelling unsatisfactory

2

Analysis of questions has completely no answer. Grammar and spelling are very poor

1

Task 3- My Reflection


Reflection statements are profound and clear, supported by experiences from the episode

5

Reflection statements are clear, but not clearly supported by experiences from the episode.

4

Reflection statements are shallows; supported by the experiences from the episode.

3

Reflection statements are unclear and shallows and are not supported

2

Reflection statements are not totally cleared and shallows are not supported by experiences from the episodes.

1

Task 4- My Learning Artifacts


Portfolio is complete, clear; well-organized and all supporting documentation which located in sections clearly

5

Portfolio is complete, clear, well- organized and most supporting documentation is available and/or in logical and clearly marked locations.

4

Portfolio is incomplete; supporting documentation on organized but is lacking

3

Portfolio has many lacking components; is unorganized and unclear

2

Portfolio has completely lacking component is unorganized and very poor

1

Task 5 - My Submission


Two days before deadline

5

On the deadline

4

A day after the deadline

3

Two days after the deadline

2

Three days after the deadline

1

Total Score




Overall Score

My Rating

Notification bell icon alarm reminder sign Vector Image Reminder


At the end of this activity, a pre-service teacher should be able to determine a school environment that provides social, psychological and physical environment learning.

Transmutation to grade/rating

Score                       Grade        .
    20               1.00                99
18-19               1.25                96
17                    1.50                93
16                    1.75                90
15                    2.00                87
14                    2.25                84
12-13               2.50                81
11                    2.75                78
10                    3.00                75
7 below          5.00




Numerical rating

 

 

Descriptive rating




My Observation

An Observation Guide for the Learners’ Characteristics



My Tools


As I observe a class, I will use the Observation Sheet as a guide during the observation then analyze and reflect my observation with the help of guide questions.


  • Read the following statements carefully. Then write your observation report on the provided space.

Physical

  • Observe their gross motor skills. How they carry themselves. How they move, walk run, go upstairs, etc.

  • Are gross movements clumsy or deliberate/smooth?

  • How about their fine motor skills? Writing, drawing etc.

Social

  • Describe how they interact with teachers and other adults.

  • Note how they also interact with peers. What do they talk about? What are their concerns?

Emotional

  • Describe the emotional disposition or temperament of the learners. (happy, sad, easily cries, mood-shifts)

  • How do they express their wants/needs? Can they wait?

  • How do they handle frustrations?

  • Describe their level of confidence as shown in their behavior. Are they self-conscious?

Cognitive

  • Describe their ability to use words to communicate their ideas. Note their language proficiency.

  • Describe how they figure out things. Do they comprehend easily? Look for evidence of their thinking skills.

  • Were there opportunities for problem solving? Describe how they showed problem solving abilities.

 


Learners’ Development Matrix

  • Guided by these tasks as you do your observation, accomplish the matrix to record your data.

  •  Record the data you gathered about the learners’ characteristics and needs in this matrix. This will allow you to compare the characteristics and needs of learners at different levels. The items under each domain are by no means exhaustive. There are sample indicators. You may add other aspects which you may have observed.

 

Development Domain

Preschooler

Age Range: 3-4

Elementary

Age Range: 7-8

 High School

Age Range: 15-16

Physical




Gross-motor skills

Preschoolers like to move around the class, to jump, run, and walking or love to roam around. They love to play and do some physical activities.

Elementary they walk normally but other giggled, there are times that others would run and play around.

High school they move as if what their age does, and enjoy participating in group or team game.

Fine-motor skills

Preschoolers likes clapping their hands while singing, handling pencils and crayons in writing and drawing.

Using their hands to write or taking notes, pasting photos onto bond papers and 

They can write more legibly and correctly.

Self-skill help

They depend on what the teacher will say and they will follow, they cannot totally do things alone they always need help or guidance by their teachers.

They still need help and guidance with their teacher but not the same as what the preschoolers need. 

They follow instructions by the teachers and they can do things independently. 

Others:

Preschooler sometimes cry in the middle of the class and sometimes aggressive.

They improve in this stage, and they’re behave.

Highschool students are more independent than preschooler and elementary and sometimes they’re secretive.

Development Domain

Preschooler

Age Range: 3-4

Elementary

Age Range: 7-8

High School

Age Range: 15-16

Social




Interaction with

Teachers

They cooperate with their teachers as if their teacher is their friend, they say please if they want to borrow something

They participate actively and politely talk to their teachers, and they like having fun.

In High school they talk in a friendly manner to their teacher

Interaction with

classmates/friends

They like playing with their classmates/friends

They are interesting on what is something new to their classmate.

They use to make fun with their classmates.

 Interests

 

 

 

Others:




Emotional




Moods and

   temperament, expressions of feelings

They easily get mad; they are always in a hurry especially in taking their recess

They know slightly how to control their emotions; they have trust with each other and having groups or barkadas

Having many expressions shown, their mood shift but they can control their feelings when facing a crowd.

Emotional

   independence




Others:






My Map

To realize my learning outcomes, I will work my way through these steps:


Step 1

  • Observe 3 groups of learners from different levels (preschool, elementary school and high school).


Step2

  • Describe each of the learners based on your observations.


Step 3

Validate your observation by interviewing the learners.


Step 4

Compare them in terms of their interests and needs.



My Analysis


Level

Preschool

Age range of Learners

observed 3-4

 

Elementary

Age range of learners

observed 7-8

 

High School

Age range of learners

observed 15-16

 

Preschoolers like to move and love playing, they are creative they like to draw and coloring

 

They behave in the class and politely talk to their teacher, sometimes they like to move and have a conversation to their classmate

 

They behave more than the preschoolers and elemtary students, they are secretive and they can do things independently

 

Therefore, the teacher should use learning materials that could catch the attention of the learners. Teachers can also use music or nursery rhymes to entertain the students and do not get bored

 

Therefore, the teacher should monitor the students if they're still on their seats and give punishment to those who roam around during class and reward to those behave students

 

Therefore, teacher should know his/her students, still guide them and give them advice for them to become more independent.

 

Implications to the Teaching Learning Process

Implications to the Teaching Learning Process


Write the most salient developmental characteristics of the learners you observed.

Based on these characteristics, think of implications for the teacher.


My Reflection


Write a brief reflection of your feelings and insights from your observation experiences. Write your answers in the blank space below with a maximum of 30 words per number only.

While you were observing the learners, did you recall your own experiences when you were their age? What similarities or differences do you have with the  learners you observed?

I have recall a lot of experiences when I was on their age, when I was a preschooler I like to play, move around, draw and coloring and sometimes I cry, when I was on elementary I have the ability to slightly control my emotion, and I talk politely with my teachers and participate in the class, and when I was on high school I am independent already, me and my classmates like to make fun. Yes, there are similarities, and those are mentioned above, while the difference is that when I was in preschool until high school I was ashamed and very shy. I cannot make friends easily because I am afraid that they might reject me.


Think of a teacher you cannot forget for positive or negative reasons?

The teacher that I cannot forget is my Mrs. Reynalyn D. Pal, she's a great teacher and a mother to us. She's not just teaching us about the subject but she also teaches us some lesson in life, she shares her inspiring stories experiences to us. Her technique of teaching us is very effective we can really learn from her. Until today, I still have communication with her, she congratulates me with my achievements and invite me and my classmates to visit her sometimes. She's just the best for me.


Share your other insights here.

Learners grow gradually they can go through many stages in their life, they have different learning with each other, and students with different age and level also have different actions, and attitude towards learning.


My Learning Artifacts


What is your favorite theory of development? How can this guide you as a future teacher? Write in a minimum of 30 words and maximum of 50 words only.


This Theory has a huge help for me as a future educator, this will guide me because this theory explained that every individual or learners has its own level of understanding and development. Learners gradually change and they have different ways of understanding and learning. This will also help me in understanding every individual and the learners. I believe that as an educator I have to know my students and where they are on their learning for they are the main reason why I teach because I wanted them to learn from me



Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)